Sunday, January 25, 2009

Made it!

We got in around 11 last night after two flights from Philly to Guatemala City. The director of the program picked us up from the airport, and after an eventful 40-minute drive we were in Antigua. I´ll post the pics as soon as I figure out how to do so from an internet cafe (where I´m sitting now), but for now I can tell you it´s both surreal and insanely beautiful. We stayed at the surprisingly affordable Black Cat Hostel, and had breakfast on the terrace overlooking Antigua. We´re surrounded on three sides by volacanoes (one active), lush greenery, cobble stone streets, and seemingly ancient buildings. There´s a surprising amount of white folks here, both American and European, and no one gives a second look to the gaggle of nurses and medical students from the US. I spoke with a kid from Idaho on our flight to Guatemala City, and he was visiting Antigua, ¨just cause.¨ I had no idea Guatemala was such a popular destination for kids from the US. We leave for Lake Atitlan in an hour, and there´s now a question of how frequent we´ll be able to access internet.

I´ll keep in touch as much as I can, and have pictures up asap.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! You made it. Im so glad you have this blog, we will be checking it often!

    ReplyDelete